BA (Hons) Business Management
To provide a programme of study, which offers students a grounding in the disciplines, and methodologies of business management and to stimulate a critical awareness of the factors associated with the changing focus of contemporary management practice.
The BA(Hons) Business Management programme is designed for undergraduate students with a three years duration.
- This course offers students the practical & theoretical learning in the disciplines and methodologies of business management and stimulates a critical awareness of the factors associated with the changing focus of contemporary management practice.
- The analytical and integrated study of business management enables students to develop an understanding of contemporary management theory and practice across a range of sectors and organisational contexts.
- This course enables all students to develop a management centred approach, within an academic context, that is relevant to a wide range of topics, organisations and industries.
- The students will be able to develop skills, behaviours and aptitudes commensurate with the dynamic nature and needs of management practices in the 21st century, including web based technologies, information technology and internal & external organisational communications to get great opportunities for their career.
- To create a basis for the student to be able to identify, develop, scrutinise and challenge a comprehensive range of business management models, frameworks and theories, and to apply them to actual situations in a range of internal and external working environments; this will provide students with a flexible pathway.
- The students will be able to develop and use a range of generic (transferable), cognitive, intellectual, personal and interpersonal skills required for effective undergraduate study and future vocational needs.
- This course will create an appropriate base for further studies or professional qualifications by encouraging the knowledge, skills and attitudes to become life-long learners who recognise the need to engage in Continuous Personal and Professional Development.
- This programme will prepare the students for post-University employment and careers in a wide variety of organisations and sectors.
- To enable students to be strong contenders in a competitive employment environment.
- Friendly and accessible staff with opportunities for one-to-one tutorials.
The course contains 30 modules both core and optional, in which the assessments are exam (EX) and coursework (CW) based as shown below. Students have to pass all 18 modules to be awarded the BA Business Management with Honours (BA Hons).
All modules carry 20 credits each and a total of 360 credits is required to be awarded a BA(Hons). Students are required to take a minimum of 6 modules in each year and 6 modules in the final year. Specialisation is achieved by providing a range of option modules and the completion of an individual research project which focuses on an appropriate issue. All options will only run when sufficient numbers have registered for the modules.
|No||Modules Level 4||Core/Electives||Assessment||Credit Weighting|
|1||Business Communications||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|2||Business Management||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|3||Introduction to Accounting||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|4||Business Environment||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|5||Fundamentals of Information Technology||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|6||Marketing Fundamentals||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|7||Quantitative Studies||Optional||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|No||Modules Level 5|
|8||Business Law||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|9||Management Accounting||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|10||Human Resources Management||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|11||Contemporary Issues in Management||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|12||Market Research||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|13||Delivering Customer Value||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|14||Financial Accounting||Optional||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|15||Marketing Planning and Control||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|16||Systems Analysis and Design||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|17||Contemporary Issues in Computing||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|18||Auditing -1||Optional||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|No||Modules Level 6|
|19||Strategic Management||Core||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|20||International Marketing||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|21||Informatics for E – Enterprise||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|22||Performance Management||Optional||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|24||Human Factors in Computing||Optional||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|25||Financial Management||Optional||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|26||Marketing Communications||Optional||CW||20 Credits|
|27||Project Management||Core||CW||20 Credits|
|28||Financial Reporting||Optional||CW/EX||20 Credits|
|30||Auditing 2||Optional||CW/EX||20 Credits|
The Course has 3 different start dates throughout the year, which are January, June, September. The year is divided into 3 terms of 13 weeks each, with a normal 4 week holiday break between each term.
The Course is designed to make it possible to complete the whole degree in either
[a] 2 years by taking 3 terms in each calendar [12 month] year, assuming all subjects are passed at the first attempt.
[b] 3 years if the student only studies for 2 terms in a 12 month year OR has resit subjects in term 3.
|Degree||Term 1||Term 2||Term 3||Total modules studied per year||Duration|
|BA in 2 years||3 Modules||3 Modules||3 Modules||9 Modules||18 modules over 2 years of 12 months study per year|
|BA in 3 years||3 Modules||3 Modules||Extended Holidays or Resits of coursework/ exams||6 Modules||18 subjects over 3 years of 9 months study per year|
A choice of start dates and time taken to obtain the degree gives students the maximum flexibility.
- Career opportunities: This degree incorporates study of all the main management functions such as Marketing, Human Resource Management, Finance, Operation Management and IT Management, but also teaches the real-life skills needed in business.
- Most BA Management graduates start their careers via the route of a graduate management trainee scheme, which gives them experience in all departments of a firm.
- Students have the chance to find out what really enthuses them and may then wish to specialise in one area such a Marketing or Human Resource Management rather than follow a career in general management.
- Own business: A BA in Business Management covers all the main management functions and so is the best preparation for the career of a business owner or entrepreneur.
- Further study: Graduates can take their broad-based management skills and knowledge a stage further by studying for an MBA or specialising at postgraduate level in one of the areas where they wish to develop their careers, such as Finance, Marketing or Human Resource Management.
An applicant must be at least 18 years of age at the start of the programme and have obtained a minimum of 2 ‘A’ Level passes or equivalent qualifications including foreign qualifications or QCF Level 3 qualification including the KCB Foundation course. Other qualifications may be considered equivalent including the International Baccalaureate, and Access courses (subject to approval by University of Chester). Each application is subject to academic consideration. Please make a full application in order for us to provide an assessment.
English language proficiency:
- Direct entry to BA – IELTS 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each component or equivalent.
- BA with Pre-sessional (5 – 10 weeks duration) – IELTS 5.5 overall with a minimum of 5.0 in each component
We are committed to our prospective students to understand the costs and funding for them if they choose to apply in our partner universities. Studying with us is a real investment in your future; if you are studying a Higher National Certificate or Higher National Diploma (HND) you may be eligible for funding through Student Finance.
Student Loans & Student Grants
- A loan to cover your tuition fees and a maintenance loan towards your expenses. The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of term. You have to pay the loan back.
- The student grant is paid into your bank account at the start of term. Additional money (up to £3,250) for qualifying full-time students only, which you will not have to pay back.
- Learn more. https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
Help for Students with Children
- Full-time higher education students with children can apply for a Childcare Grant that provides additional money for childcare costs or other financial support for parents.
- Learn more. https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant
Are you eligible?
Click Here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
If you are not sure, then please feel free to contact us for further assistance.